Vernacular: Linguistics, Literature, Communication, and Culture Journal is published by University of Harapan Medan. It is an open access journal in English Department – Faculty of Language and Communication. This journal is available for researchers who want to improve knowledge in those particular areas and intended to spread the knowledge as the result of studies. It is open for anyone who desires to develop knowledge based on qualified research in any field. Submitted papers are evaluated by anonymous referees by double-blind peer review for contribution, originality, relevance, and presentation. The Editor shall inform you of the results of the review as soon as possible, hopefully within 4 - 8 weeks. The research article submitted to this online journal will be peer-reviewed at least 2 (two) reviewers. The accepted research articles will be available online following the journal peer-reviewing process.
All papers submitted to the journal must be written in good English or Indonesian. Authors, for whom both English and Indonesian are not their native language, are encouraged to have their paper checked before submission for grammar and clarity. The work should not have been published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
- General Author Guidelines
All manuscripts must be submitted to Vernacular Journal Editorial Office using Online Submission at E-Journal portal address:
where author registers as Author by online. If authors have any problems on the online submission, please contact the Editorial Office at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Three types of manuscripts are acceptable for publication: Original Research Articles, Short Communication, and Review Articles (not preferable, based on invitation).
2. Manuscript Template
The manuscript should be prepared according to the following author guidelines in the MS Word article template:
3. Reviewing of manuscripts
Every submitted paper is independently reviewed by at least two peer-reviewers. The decision for publication, amendment, or rejection is based upon their reports/recommendation and made by Editor. If two or more reviewers consider a manuscript unsuitable for publication in this journal, a statement explaining the basis for the decision will be sent to the authors within three months of the submission date.
4. Revision of manuscripts
Manuscripts sent back to the authors for revision should be returned to the editor without delay. Revised manuscripts can be sent to the editorial office through the Online Submission Interface https://jurnal.harapan.ac.id/index.php/Vernacular/OnlineSubmission. The revised manuscripts returned later than three months will be considered as new submissions
5. All correspondences should be sent to the following Editorial Office:
Muhammad Kiki Wardana (Journal Manager)
English Department, Faculty of Language and Communication
University of Harapan Medan
Jl. Imam Bonjol No.35 Medan
6. Guideline for Online Submission
The author should first register as Author and is offered as Reviewer through the following address: https://jurnal.harapan.ac.id/index.php/Vernacular/login
The author should fulfill the form as detail as possible where the star marked form must be entered. After all form textbox was filled, Author clicks on “Register” button to proceed the registration. Therefore, Author is brought to the online author submission interface where Author should click on “New Submission”. In the Start, a New Submission section, click on “’Click Here’: to go to step one of the five-step submission process”. The following are five steps in the online submission process:
- Step 1 - Starting the Submission: Select the appropriate section of the journal, i.e. Original Research Articles, Review Article, or Short Communication. Thus, the author must check-mark on the submission checklists. An author should type or copy-paste Covering Letter in Letter to Editor.
- Step 2 – Uploading the Submission: To upload a manuscript to this journal, click Browse on the Upload submission file item and choose the manuscript document file (.doc/.docx) to be submitted, then click "Upload" button until the file has been uploaded. Do not upload the cover letter and other supplementary files here.
- Step 3 – Entering Submission’s Metadata: In this step, detail authors metadata should be entered including the marked corresponding author. After that, manuscript title and abstract must be uploaded by copying the text and paste in the textbox including keywords.
- Step 4 – Uploading Supplementary Files: Supplementary file should be uploaded including Covering/Submission Letter, and Signed Copyright Transfer Agreement Form. Therefore, click on the Browse button, choose the files, and then click on the Upload button.
- Step 5 – Confirming the Submission: Author should final check the uploaded manuscript documents in this step. To submit the manuscript to Vernacular Journal, click Finish Submission button after the documents are true. The corresponding author or the principal contact will receive an acknowledgment by email and will be able to view the submission’s progress through the editorial process by logging in to the journal web address site.
After this submission, Authors who submit the manuscript will get a confirmation email about the submission. Therefore, Authors are able to track their submission status at any time by logging in to the online submission interface. The submission tracking includes a status of manuscript review and editorial process.